Tuesday 10 January 2012

Background reading

I'm fairly ok with whats going on in the plans now - with the garage delaying things, I'm sure I'll be refreshing my memory a few more times (and I can't put the plans down) yet.  For those not familiar with how you go about doing this, I believe this to be the rough idea.

First, I'm going to need to purchase the bits, primarily the marine ply initially.  I think I've found a couple of local sources to try (I'm near the solent, boats, chandleries and boatyards are everywhere).  Based on the book I mentioned before, I've got a few hints and tips as to what to look for when buying.  Marine ply differs from standard ply mainly in quality, but also in build.  It has a rigorous standard to achieve - BS1088, which dictates how many joins can be in the sheets, what is used in the core of the material, how many checks, knots etc and that there are no voids which destroy the strength and allow rot to form.  It also differs in how each layer of the ply sandwich is joined to its neighbours.  I'll maybe cover more on this later, but for now, lets continue with the overall idea.

The next step is to get this ply home (its 4mm thick, gonna have to come up with something as it'll break on a roofrack) and then draw out the plans on the ply.  The Chesapeak kayak has 4 panels making up the underside, plus the decking.  Marine ply (as with most boards) will come in 4 x 8 foot panels, so I will need to cut strips suitable to meet the layouts, and then join them together using a scarf joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment